-->

Chai Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting

Chai Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting

IMG_5806 

It seems that I am finally settled into my new house and life as an intern.  I moved an embarrassing number of boxes with baking supplies (let's just say more than 3, and that doesn't even count my KitchenAid!) I have been working hard as *Dr. Carly* (it's still so strange to introduce myself to people as doctor!) for the past couple of weeks.  Fortunately, I have had a little time to do some baking.  One of my co-interns doesn't eat eggs, so I have been baking a lot with my Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World cookbook.  It's been a nice opportunity to check out recipes I have been wanting to try for a long time.

IMG_5826

You may recall that I have made chai cupcakes in the past.  Honestly, these are far superior.  No one will even guess that they are made without eggs.  They really taste like  chai tea.  I topped them off with some cinnamon frosting that really compliments them well.  I used Irish Breakfast tea as my black tea of choice due to its strong flavor.  Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you - these cuppies are well worth it!

Also, I have finally figured out how to make printer-friendly versions of my recipes!!! Printer friendly version here.


Chai Cupcakes - Adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World - Makes 4 dozen mini
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 5 black tea bags
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • pinch ground black pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Line mini cupcake tin with paper liners
  2. Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to boil.  Add the tea bags and cover.  Remove from heat and leave covered for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes, squeeze the remaining milk out of the tea bags.  Remeasure the milk and save one cup of it (drink the extra as a mid-baking pick-me-up!)
  3. In a large mixing bowl, add the oil, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla into a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.  
  4. Add the tea mixture and mix until well combined.
  5. In a medium bowl, add the baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, and pepper.  Mix with a whisk.
  6. Add the dry ingredients into the large mixing bowl.  Mix until well combined.
  7. Fill paper liners 2/3 full of batter.  Bake for 13-16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
You'll want to eat them hot out of the oven, but try to wait and eat them with some of this delicious cinnamon frosting.


Cinnamon Frosting - Enough to cover 4 dozen mini cupcakes
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2-3 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 1 T milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  1. Beat butter until light and fluffy.
  2. Slowly add the confectioner's sugar 1/2 cup at a time until you have added 2 cups.  Mix well after each addition. 
  3. Once you have added 2 cups of confectioner's sugar, add the milk and vanilla. Mix well.
  4. Add the cinnamon, mix well.
  5. Add remaining confectioner's sugar to achieve desired consistency. If you accidentally add too much sugar and the frosting becomes dry, add a little more milk.  
And there you have it!  Chai tea in a cupcake.  

IMG_5810


Share this: