-->

Coconut Cupcakes

Coconut Cupcakes

IMG_5771


I made these chocolate coconut cupcakes several weeks ago to bring to dinner at a friend's new house.  It seemed like a lot of work to gather all of the ingredients: coconut oil, coconut extract, coconut milk, shredded coconut.  Okay, it really wasn't that much work, because I already had everything save the coconut extract.  I haven't really done much baking with coconut flavors other than adding toasted coconut as decoration.  

IMG_5766

The recipe is from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I thought that the slight hint of coconut in the cupcake was really nicely balanced with the chocolate.  I attempted to make a chocolate coconut frosting, but I haphazardly just added some coconut extract.  Gross - coconut extract smells like artificial coconut (think Malibu rum) and too much of it has a chemical taste.  I should have just added some coconut milk! Oh well, lesson learned.

IMG_5769

After sadly throwing away 4 cups of frosting, I made some vanilla buttercream and then topped the cupcakes with toasted coconut.  Deeeeeelish.  I wonder if it is possible to bake cake in half of a coconut shell.....

Share this: